Summertime is definitely here. That means it’s time for cook outs, cooling off and with the 4th of July a few days away…FIREWORKS! Many of us enjoy getting together with family and friends during this holiday to do some grilling. But when you’re eating healthy looking at the table of tempting sides and desserts at a cook out can feel daunting.
Today I’m sharing with you a delicious and healthy side you can bring with you on your next get together. Broccoli salad or broccoli slaw is a nutrient rich, slightly sweet, delicious side that pairs with any grilled meat. I’m making this side with my healthy mayo recipe that I shared with you yesterday. It’s super easy to make too! This won’t take long so lets get started.
First, begin by washing and drying your broccoli. Next, cut the florets off of the broccoli stalk and chop into smaller pieces. (DON’T THROW AWAY THOSE STEMS! You can freeze them and use them later in making a homemade vegetable broth).
Now, shred your carrots. I promise they’re super easy to do. All you need is a cheese grater and you’ll be done in no time. I like to use the largest shred for this.
Finely chop the onion and add it to the bowl.
Next, add your raisins (or dates) and sunflower (or pumpkin) seeds and give it a mix. Then mix in your mayonnaise and honey and stir to combine completely. Pretty simple! Taste your broccoli salad and add more mayonnaise or honey to taste. I like a light sauce with just a touch of honey for some sweetness.
Chill for at least 1 hour and enjoy! It’s the perfect crunchy, healthy and delicious side to bring to your next cookout.
Another tip on surviving a cook out? Stick with simple grilled meats, vegetables and fruits. Almost any grill master will skip adding bbq sauce to a piece of meat upon request or gladly toss your own meat (or vegetables) on the grill along with whatever else is being offered. Never be afraid to ask and remember, you never know who you’ll inspire to change to a healthier diet.
What’s your favorite side at a cookout?
Healthy broccoli salad
- 2 small heads of broccoli (approximately 3 1/2-4 cups chopped)
- 1 medium/large carrot (approximately 1 cup)
- 1/4-1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup sunflower (or pumpkin) seeds
- 1/3 cup of raisins (or dates)
- 1/2 cup of gut healthy mayonnaise (here’s my favorite recipe for mayo)
- 1/2-1 tablespoon of honey (optional but highly recommended) for sweetness
- Wash and dry broccoli and carrots.
- Remove the broccoli florets from the stems. (SAVE THOSE STEMS! Freeze them for making vegetable stock later).
- Chop broccoli into smaller pieces as desired.
- Using a cheese grater or other grater, shred the carrot and add to the broccoli.
- Finely dice the onion and add to the broccoli and carrot mixture.
- Add in sunflower seeds and raisins (and cheese if desired).
- Mix to combine ingredients.
- Add in mayonnaise and stir to combine thoroughly. Taste and add more mayonnaise and honey.
- Chill for a minimum of 1 hour and serve.