I love chocolate. And nuts. Combining the two together? Genius! One of my favorite former treats was the delightful hazelnut spread we all know. Nutella. The combination of hazelnuts and cocoa is simply wonderful. Today happens to be National Nutella Day and since it’s all over the news I got the craving to have some.
But have you ever looked to see what it’s made out of? Let’s take a peek.
Sugar and vegetable oil are the first two ingredients. If you’re trying to heal your gut, those two ingredients are definitely out. But I want some. Bad!! So since I can’t run out to buy a jar it’s time to hit the kitchen and mix up my own version.
Here we go. We’re keeping this simple and gut healthy today. Only four simple ingredients needed for this one.
Start by roasting your hazelnuts. It only takes a few minutes and roasting them will bring out their flavor. I have found whole hazelnuts at my local grocery in the bulk bin area. If you can’t find them near by you can always order online.
After you’ve roasted and cooled your hazelnuts, place them into a food processor. Then, simply add in your cocoa powder, honey and 2 tablespoons of the melted coconut oil.
See, super simple.
Time to start blending. Since grinding nuts can be hard on appliances, you’ll need to stop the blending process occasionally to let the motor cool for a bit. You don’t want to overload your appliance and have it burn out on you.
First it will begin to ball together. This is where I take my first break (10-15 seconds is usually enough). You can give it a little stir to redistribute the ingredients and keep going.
It’s beginning to combine a little better. It sort of looks a bit like a thick brownie mixture now.
If you want a nice thick, spreadable consistency, stop when it looks like this. If you would like a thinner consistency for dipping, add an additional 1-2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil in a little at a time until it looks the way you like.
Anyone like hazelnut spread on bananas? This would make a great sandwich!
I reserved a little to thin out for a fruit dip. So delicious and healthy! Boy did this hit the spot.
Healthy chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 cups of whole hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2-4 tablespoons melted unrefined, cold pressed coconut oil
- Roast the hazelnuts at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-7 minutes until lightly browned.
- Once the nuts have been roasted and cooled, place them into a food processor with the blade attachment.
- Add in your honey, cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of the melted coconut oil.
- Blend in the food processor for 30 seconds to 1 minute at a time. Stop to allow your food processor a chance to rest so the motor doesn’t over exert and burn up.
- Keep blending and taking a break until desired consistency is reached. Add additional coconut oil in for a thinner dip rather than a thick spread.
**Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Amazon offers a small commission on products sold through their affiliate links. Any purchases made through our affiliate links supports our cause at NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. We simply receive a small commission on any purchases made through our affiliate link.**